3 Healthy lunches to try this spring…
It can be hard making a packed lunch something to look forward to (soggy sarnies, anyone?) but trying to keep them healthy and balanced too can sometimes feel impossible. We’ve been hunting down the team’s favourite easy to make, balanced and healthy lunch ideas to keep you going through the week…
Spicy Rice Noodle Salad
This spicy little salad will add a bit of kick to your lunchtime at the office; with diced chicken as a healthy protein source and chilli helping to speed up your metabolism!
For the Dressing
3 green chillis
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons fish sauce
6 tablespoons lime juice
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Salad
Handfull of grilled prawns
2 handfuls of rice noodles
4 large carrots, peeled
8-10 full leaves of green cabbage
Handful of mange tout
sprinkle of cilantro leaves, mint leaves, and green onions
1. Pulse all of the dressing ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Stir in the chillis, diced.
2. Pour a little dressing onto the prawns and lightly grill them until pink.
3. To prep the noodles, soak in a large bowl of cold water for 15 minutes or until softened. Heat a small amount of the dressing in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the drained noodles and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Cut through the noodles with kitchen scissors if you want them to be shorter and easier to eat.
4. Cut the carrots into pieces and pulse in a food processor for 10-15 seconds until finely chopped. Shred the cabbage. Mince the cilantro, mint, and green onions.
5. Toss the prawns, noodles, vegetables, and remaining dressing (to taste) together, allow to cool. Refrigerate in an airtight contained until lunch!
Super Fast Gazpacho Soup
If you don’t have much time the night before, grab these simple store cupboard essentials and whisk up a tasty Gazpacho (cold soup) to enjoy on the move. It’s low in calories, packed full of flavour and natural ingredients.
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp sherry vinegar
juice ½ lime
1. Deseed the pepper and chillis and dice, set to one side
2. Grab your food processor and add all the ingredients in, whisk for 30 seconds until you have a semi-smooth texture.
3. Store in an air-tight container and refrigerate until lunch, serve with some ryvita crackers.
Cheeky Greek Pita Pockets
These little pockets of healthy greek salad will keep you going all afternoon – opt for brown pita bread to make sure you’re getting extra fibre, and go easy on the olive oil to keep the calories low!
A drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon of chopped pitted kalamata olives
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup of thinly sliced lettuce
1 cup of diced seeded tomatoes
1/2 cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and cubed
30g of crumbled feta cheese
1. Cut the tomatoes, feta and cucumber into cubes
2. In bowl, add the oregano, olive oil, lemon juice, diced olives and vegetables
3. Stir the mixture with your hands, then store in an airtight container.
4. Take two pitas to work, toast, and slice to open, then fill with the salad mixture.
Let us know which you get time to try this week, we’d love to hear from you! Tweet us now!